Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Stroup Family Mystery Number One




This is the number one mystery of our family as far as I am concerned. Who was Jacob Stroup II? He is supposed to be the eldest son of Adam Stroup. Said to be born in 18 March 1771 in Pennsylvania and died 8 Oct 1846 in Cass County, Georgia. He is well known as an Ironmaster who built furnaces in South Carolina and Georgia. His work in the Iron Industry is well documented.

Here is where the mystery begins. As most of you know DNA testing began just a few short years ago and helped clear some of the family mysteries but in the process it created other mysteries this being one. I had my DNA test to clear one mystery, which was our (North Carolina Stroups) original immigrant. The question on my mind was did we come from Johann Pieter Straub (early theory 1940’s) or Matthias Stroope (later theory 1980’s). Well the test answered my question. We came from Johann Pieter Straub. About the time my DNA test was done several other Stroups submitted theirs. They were part of this Jacob II line from Adam. Well lo and behold their results showed they were part of the Biddle family. To make this mystery a little clearer, Several of Adam’s other sons branches were tested and returned as Straubs. So the problem was limited to Jacob II line. I try to distinguish between the Jacobs by designating the I and II because early researchers got these two men confused, mainly because Jacob I had so many wives and children.

So at this point I am sure that all the descendents of Jacob II are part of the Biddle family. All that being said, let’s remember that they thought and still do think they are Stroups. For over two hundred years they believed they were Stroups, so this comes as quite a shock.

Some facts for the record, it was thought for many early years that Jacob II signed his 1790 marriage bond as Jacob Stroup with very poor handwriting. To clear this up I sent off for a copy of the original and when I got it we confirmed it was perfect GERMAN SCRIPT. Now this raises a question in my mind, he was a third generation Stroup shouldn’t he be writing English script by this time? To oppose this fact is Jacob purchased some land from Adam and in the deed he clearly states, “ purchase from my father Adam”.

Some possible answers:
1. He was adopted. Did they do that in the 1770’s?
2. He was a son of Adam’s first wife Catherine Alexander (step-son). We know very little about Catherine.
3. He was the result of a non-parental event (NPE is a DNA term). I have my doubts about this one.
4. Was he indentured to Adam to learn iron making and took the family name? Have doubts about this also. Mainly because I can’t find where Adam knew iron making. There are family stories about Adam’s ability in iron but still I can’t find proof of that.

I am sure there are other possibilities but haven’t thought of them yet. Maybe some day this great mystery will be answered.Mike Stroupe

No comments:

Post a Comment