Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Ethel Belle Stroupe


With the reunion fast approaching, I thought it fitting to post this picture. Sid and I found this photo in CD Stroup's files. Some of you may wonder why I don't use Ethel's married name, well Ethel thought so highly of her family she legally changed her name back to Stroupe after her divorce. Not a day passes that I don't think of her even though we never knew each other. My respect for her work grows each passing day. I like to think she would be pleased with the work that Sid, Linda and I have done.


The baby in the picture is her daughter Lee. She was the one who was so kind to turn her mothers work over to us. I again want to thank Lee for her wonderful generosity.

Mike Stroupe

2 comments:

  1. Yes, Mike, we are all totally indebted to Ethel Stroupe for her invaluable contribution to preserving our Stroup(e) heritage. The volumes and volumes of work that she completed and left behind on the Stroup(e) family have been priceless to us as we continue our journey. And you're right ... in her later years, Ethel preferred to use her Stroupe surname. I only use Vochko, as needed, to give folks across the USA (literally!) a 'link' to her published work and research of forty-plus years ... Thank you Ethel Stroupe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE THE STROUP NAME TOO. MY GRANDFATHER WAS PAUL T STROUP.. A OUTSTANDING MAN. ALTHOUGHT I LOST HIM WHEN I WAS ELEVEN YEARS OLD..I STILL THINK OF HIM OFTEN.I HAVE FOUND A LOST OF HISTORY FROM THE STROUP FAMILY..THANKS YOU..

    ReplyDelete