Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Every family has an Aunt Ruth

Here are a couple of tales about "Aunt Ruth"


Aunt Ruth Story 1
 

"Aunt Ruth” was a real character, I suppose as most Stroupe's are. Though she was filthy rich, she wore clothes that were many years old. It was not so much that she was a miser; she just lived her life the way that she grew up, and never really acted like she had money.  When I visited her in 1980, she had on an immaculately bleached and starched white tick cloth dress.  If you looked closely, the edges of the dress were very worn, due to being washed so many times.  I supposed the dress was 10-15 years old. She had a black crushed velvet dress that was her "Sunday dress".  This was the same dress she had worn to my Grandmother's funeral in the early '50s. This was the dress she was wearing in the story following.

 

   My aunt Mary Claire (daughter of MH Stroup) was fairly close to "Aunt Ruth" (daughter of James Henderson Stroup).  She visited her often, and would carry her to Memphis, after the death of Homer.  One Saturday in the early '70s, Ruth decided she wanted to "buy me a diamond rang".  My aunt took her to Dryfuss, Perel, or one of the other of the best jewelry stores in Memphis.  When approached by the salesman, she said, "I want to buy me a diamond rang".  He directed her toward a case with lower end rings, all probably under 2 or 3 hundred dollars.  She scowled at the ware, emphatically stating, "No I want a Diamond rang".  As he looked down his nose at this old "Granny Clampett” he directed her toward rings in the 500-700 dollar range.  She said "NO, I THOUGHT I TOLD YOU I WANT ME A DIAMOND RANG!!"  With a disgusted look, he brought out a tray of their best ware, all over the 1500 dollar mark (remember, this was over 25 years ago), and she immediately pointed at one of them, "NOW THAT'S A DIAMOND RANG, I WANT THAT ONE!"  Then the arrogant salesman asked "now Madame, how will you be paying for the ring?"  Ruth reached into her purse (which itself was
probably 40 years old) and pulled out a fold of twenties that was over three inches thick, and paid cash in twenties for the $1800.00 ring. 

Ruth May Stroup daughter of James Henderson Stroup and Mattie Moran.

She was born 1894 and died in 1985 in Tennessee. 

From the files of Ethel Stroupe
 
 
Aunt Ruth Story 2
 
One other story, as I mentioned, I visited Ruth in late summer, 1980. Ruth lived in a room or two of what had been the funeral home, a probably 5000-6000 sq. ft. building.  When my cousin and I pulled up, she was in the back yard sitting in the shade. (it was probably 95 degrees out, and I did not hear a air conditioner running)  As we got out of my Jeep, and began walking towards her, she exclaimed "I don't know who ya'll are, but I see you are Stroupe's, so come on up.  We sat, and began among the most wonderful conversations I have ever held with anyone.  It was just unbelievable that this little, weathered old lady could have been 86 years old.  She talked a little about the family (very little, who knew we would care now?) about the field trials, about Grand Junction, about herself. She lived across the lot (probably 3-4 acres) from her son, Bud. If you recall, the World’s Fair was in Knoxville that summer.  "Bud and them went to that World's Fair" she exclaimed.  "They wanted me to go with them, but I'm too old to care about that kind of stuff, and I just kind of like to stay home now, anyway."  "The other day I just got tired of looking at that tall grass, and decided I had to cut it.  I just couldn't figure out how to crank that fancy riding mower of Bud's, so I figured I'd just cut the yard with mine."  She pointed to an old engineless rotary type mower that was probably 50 years old.  "I had to stop a couple of times to cool off and get a drank of water, but I cut it all in one afternoon."  She mowed The WHOLE lot, in August.  I'm sure the temperature got to right around the 100 mark.  What an amazing lady.  I could shoot myself for never going back to visit. 
Ruth May Stroup daughter of James Henderson Stroup and Mattie Moran.
She was born 1894 and died in 1985 in Tennessee. 
From the files of Ethel Stroupe

No comments:

Post a Comment